Thursday, July 10, 2014

Your Comfort Zone Vs Change



src: http://cdn.menprovement.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Comfort-Zone.jpg

A person’s success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have.” - Tim Ferris

What is Comfort Zone:
As per Wikipedia, the definition of Comfort zone is:
"The comfort zone is a behavioral state within which a person operates in an anxiety-neutral condition, using a limited set of behaviors to deliver a steady level of performance, usually without a sense of risk. A person's personality can be described by his or her comfort zones. A comfort zone is a type of mental conditioning that causes a person to create and operate mental boundaries. Such boundaries create an unfounded sense of security. Like inertia, a person who has established a comfort zone in a particular axis of his or her life, will tend to stay within that zone without stepping outside of it. To step outside their comfort zone, a person must experiment with new and different behaviors, and then experience the new and different responses that occur within their environment."
Most of us feels happy in our comfort zones because it is easy & feels good. But in longer run it does not breed success.
Are You Flexible to Change:
If I can give you my Personal example, after Graduation in Information Technology, I was doing the business in Agricultural firm in local city for almost 5 years. During that 5 years I was completely out of Technology but later stage, I realized that I was not in right track. I should have to leave this comfort zone for better life and growth. At that time seems like not having any clue like:
  • How to start?
  • How to enter in IT Industry again.
  • Some says " It is too late for me to enter in IT".
  • Some says " By chance, If you entered, you cannot success".
But, one thing i am having it is called a passion. Your passion can cause you to want to do things you would normally avoid like the plague.
Due this passion, i started my post graduation again & worked hard in IT industry since 2008. It has been 6 years so far i left my comfort zone, but have enjoyed what stepping outside of my comfort zone has done for me so far.

src:http://nourishbalancebreathe.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/img_4292.jpg
  • Signing up for a English Speaking class: I would never signed up English speaking class if i have not started my post graduation class. That is before my passion gave me the courage to do it anyway that is. The real truth is that I know that the career path I have chosen for myself meant that i needed to communicate effectively with others.
  • Expand R&D power: In my early days of career, i realized that i need improvement to expand my R&D power. so next step for me to expand on it. The day i realized i need to expand it is till expanding and continue towards it. As i do not want to settle with this. It should be continues process like our Heart beat.
  • Learning Technology: Learning any technology is scary feelings. I am sure most of us are lack confident when it comes to the technology. If we are having a burning desire to learn something we must learn. I came from the Technical background as i started my career as a Software Programmer and has set the goal of to master in the Technology. Despite having this goal, it courage me every day to learn something new in technology like what stuffs are doing, what are the new things in the market, what are the solution etc.
  • Mentoring: I was asked to become mentor. Everything inside of me screamed at me to say No! The truth is I am very shy person, but I know I will do better and experience will help me so much. I stepped outside of the box. My passion to help others become aware on the new technology trends, mentoring or guide him on the right path whether it is related to personal or professional.
  • Starting Blog: To be honest, even though i had never attended any classes on English writing or written anything significant before join in IT organization. When it comes to blogging, I literately fight over the idea for many weeks / months and because i was scared of something i had never done. But i feel very confident in my ability to write great articles and having passion some day i may become great author. Over the years, I try to improved and look forward to growing even more in my writing abilities. I started to writing blog this month and published 4 articles before. But over this days, i received valuable comments and made some great friends and connections along the way. This should not happen if i had stayed inside my comfort zone.
At last, comfort zone always feel proud to us, but it comes at the cost of not seeing all of the opportunities that come our way. Take a courage step outside for one month at least and started the things you don't like and you may be delightful at what you see.

No comments: